Littledean War Memorial

1914-1918
1939-1945


IN MEMORY OF
THE MEN FROM THIS PARISH
WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR
1914-1918

LIVE THOU FOR ENGLAND
WE FOR ENGLAND DIED


Cpl. E. F. WELLS - R. Fusiliers
H. PARRY - Glos. Reg.
LCpl. F. I. EMBLING
G. HEWETT
Pte. A. G. BEVAN - R.W. Fusiliers
A. G. DENTON - Glos. Reg.
G. MURRELL
W. H. MORGAN
Grdsm. W. F. ELLWAY

Pte. A. W. NELMES - R.A.S.C.
B. PETERS - Glos. Reg.
T. SHOTT
J. E. SHOTT
A. G. WESTBROOK
F. E. WEAVING - Hereford
R. WYNN - Worcr.
D. HAIL - Glos.


1939-45

Sergt. R. J. BAGHURST - R.A.F.
Dvr. R. G. BEARD
A/B. W. R. HAYWARD
Dvr. W. S. WAKEFIELD


Further Details

Cpl. E. F. WELLS - R. Fusiliers

No details available

[ Index ]


H. PARRY

HARRY PARRY
Corporal 19739
8th Bn., Gloucestershire Regiment
who died on Monday, 3rd July 1916.

Commemorative Information
Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL, Somme, France
Grave Reference/Panel Number: Pier and Face 5 A and 5 B
Location: The Thiepval Memorial will be found on the D73, off the main Bapaume to Albert road (D929).

Record of Commemoration

[ Index ]


LCpl. F. I. EMBLING

F EMBLING Lance Corporal 267566
2nd/4th Bn., Gloucestershire Regiment
who died on Tuesday, 4th December 1917.

Commemorative Information
Cemetery: HONNECHY BRITISH CEMETERY, Nord, France
Grave Reference/Panel Number: I. A. 67.

Location: Honnechy is a village in the Department of the Nord, 8 kilometres south-west of Le Cateau. Honnechy British Cemetery is north-east of the village, on the north-west side of the road to Reumont.

Historical Information: Honnechy was part of the battlefield of Le Cateau in August 1914, and from that time it remained in German hands until the 9th October 1918, when the 25th Division and the 6th Cavalry Brigade captured it. It had been a German Hospital centre, and from its capture until the end of October it was a British Field Ambulance centre. The village was inhabited by civilians during the whole of the War. The cemetery stands on the site of a German Cemetery begun in the Battle of Cambrai 1917 and used by German troops and then by British until the 24th October 1918. The 300 German graves were removed to another burial ground, leaving 44 British graves; and the cemetery was re-made in 1922 and 1923 by the concentration of British graves almost entirely from German Cemeteries. There are now over 450, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, nearly a quarter are unidentified and a special memorial is erected to one Canadian soldier known to be buried among them. Other special memorials record the names of eight soldiers from the United Kingdom whose graves could not be found during the concentrations from German cemeteries. A number of graves in Plot I, Row C, identified as a whole but not individually, are marked by headstones bearing the additional words "Buried near this spot". The cemetery covers an area of 1,691 square metres and is enclosed by a low rubble wall on three sides. The following were the burial grounds from which the British graves were brought to Honnechy British Cemetery: BANTOUZELLE COMMUNAL CEMETERY GERMAN EXTENSION, which contained about 250 German graves and those of four soldiers from the United Kingdom and one South African airman. BOUSIES COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION, which was South West of the Communal Cemetery. It was made by the 18th Division at the end of October 1918, and contained the graves of 24 soldiers from the United Kingdom and one German soldier. CLARY GERMAN CEMETERY, on the North side of the village, containing the graves of 96 soldiers from the United Kingdom. Of these 47 were buried by French civilians after the Battle of Le Cateau; 28 were buried by the enemy in 1917-18; and 21 were buried by their comrades in October 1918. The 127 German graves have also been removed. ESNES COMMUNAL CEMETERY GERMAN EXTENSION, which contained the graves of 470 German soldiers and 37 from the United Kingdom and six of the Royal Guernsey Light Infantry who fell in action or died as prisoners in 1917-18. LESDAIN GERMAN CEMETERY, at the South-East corner of the village, containing the graves of 350 German soldiers, six soldiers from the United Kingdom buried by the enemy as prisoners, and 26 New Zealand soldiers and two from the United Kingdom who fell on the 8th October 1918 in the capture of the village. MALINCOURT GERMAN CEMETERY, on the East side of the road to Walincourt, which contained the graves of 300 German soldiers, seven soldiers from the United Kingdom buried by the enemy and 14 who fell in October-December 1918, and one man of the Chinese Labour Corps. MARETZ COMMUNAL CEMETERY GERMAN EXTENSION, which was on the East side of the Communal Cemetery. It contained the graves of 213 German soldiers, 25 from the United Kingdom and three from South Africa; of the 28 British graves, 23 were made by the enemy. SELVIGNY GERMAN CEMETERY, which is now a large permanent burial ground between the villages of Selvigny and Walincourt. It contained the graves of 106 soldiers from the United Kingdom, eight of whom were buried by their comrades in October 1918. SERANVILLERS GERMAN CEMETERY No. 1, at the West end of the village. It contained the graves of 200 German soldiers, three from the United Kingdom and one of the Royal Guernsey Light Infantry. VILLERS-OUTREAU COMMUNAL CEMETERY GERMAN EXTENSION, on the South side of the Communal Cemetery, which contained the graves of 25 soldiers from the United Kingdom, 28 German and one Russian; and VILLERS-OUTREAU GERMAN CEMETERY, near the East side of the village, in which 900 German soldiers and one from the United Kingdom were buried. WAMBAIX GERMAN CEMETERY, on the East side of the road to Cattenieres, in which seven soldiers from the United Kingdom were buried by French civilians in 1914 and one R.F.C. Officer in 1917 by the enemy.

Record of Commemoration

[ Index ]


G. HEWETT

No details available

[ Index ]


Pte. A. G. BEVAN - R.W. Fusiliers

ALFRED GEORGE HENRY BEVAN Private 54999
10th Bn., Royal Welsh Fusiliers
who died on Monday, 30th April 1917. Age 26.

Additional Information: Son of James and Harriet Bevan, of Broad St., Littledean, Glos.

Commemorative Information
Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL, Pas de Calais, France
Grave Reference/Panel Number: Bay 6

Location: The Arras Memorial is in the Faubourg-d'Amiens Cemetery, which is in the Boulevard du General de Gaulle in the western part of the town of Arras. The cemetery is near the Citadel, approximately 2 kilometres due west of the railway station. The Memorial commemorates almost 35,000 casualties of the British, New Zealand and South African Forces who died between Spring 1916 and 7th August 1918, with the exception of casualties of the Battle of Cambrai in 1917, and who have no known grave. The design, by Sir Edward Lutyens, consists of a cloister, 25 feet high and 380 feet long, built up on Doric columns and faces west. In the broader part of the site the colonnade returns to form a recessed and open court, terminated by an apse. The names of the casualties are carved on stone panels fixed to the cloister walls.

Historical Information: The Memorial commemorates almost 35,000 casualties of the British, New Zealand and South African Forces who died between Spring 1916 and 7th August 1918, excluding casualties of the Battle of Cambrai in 1917, and who have no known grave. The design, by Sir Edward Lutyens, consists of a cloister built upon Doric columns and faces west. In the broader part of the site the colonnade returns to form a recessed and open court, terminated by an apse in front of which is the Arras Flying Services Memorial. The names of the casualties are carved on stone panels which are fixed to the cloister walls.

Record of Commemoration

[ Index ]


A. G. DENTON - Glos. Reg.

A G DENTON Private 18518 13th Bn., Gloucestershire Regiment
who died on Friday, 22nd March 1918.

Additional Information: Buried near this spot.

Commemorative Information
Cemetery: PERONNE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION, STE RADEGONDE, Somme, France
Grave Reference/Panel Number: IV. H. 2.

Location: From Bapaume take the N17 to Peronne. On entering Peronne, turn right towards the hospital. On reaching the hospital, which will be on the right, take the small road opposite and the communal cemetery is at the end of this road on the left. The extension is on the south-west side of the cemetery.

Historical Information: Peronne fell into German hands on the 24th September, 1914. On the 18th March, 1917, the 40th and 48th Divisions entered the town, which had been set on fire by the enemy; and on the 23rd March, 1918, the Germans recaptured it. On the 30th August-1st September, 1918, the 2nd Australian Division took Mont-St. Quentin (a feat commemorated by the Battle Memorial erected beside the village street), and on the latter day they entered Peronne. The town was later "adopted" by the County Borough of Blackburn. Peronne Communal Cemetery contains (on the left-hand side of the centre path, opposite the 1870 Memorial) the grave of a soldier from the United Kingdom who fell in August, 1914. The Cemetery Extension was begun by the 48th (South Midland) Division in March, 1917, used by the Germans in 1918, and resumed by Australian units in September, 1918. At the Armistice it contained 177 graves (now in Plots I and II). It was then enlarged by the concentration of graves from the battlefields North and East of Peronne and from certain small cemeteries. There are now over 1,500, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, over 200 are unidentified and special memorials are erected to four soldiers from Australia, two from South Africa and one from the United Kingdom, known or believed to be buried among them. Other special memorials record the names of nine soldiers from the United Kingdom and one from South Africa, buried in German Cemeteries, whose graves could not be found. Certain graves in Plots III, IV and V, identified collectively but not individually, are marked by headstones bearing the additional words: "Buried near this spot". The bodies of one French and one American soldier have been removed to other cemeteries. The Extension covers an area of 5,535 square metres and is bounded by the Communal Cemetery, by the road, and by a low brick wall on the other two sides. The following were among the burial grounds from which British graves were moved to the Extension:- AIZECOURT-LE-HAUT CHURCHYARD EXTENSION, containing the graves of 18 soldiers from the United Kingdom and two from South Africa who fell in March, 1918. CARTIGNY COMMUNAL CEMETERY AND GERMAN EXTENSION, containing the graves of 5,250 German soldiers, two from the United Kingdom and one from Australia. COPSE TRENCH CEMETERY, ALLAINES, between Allaines and Moislains. Here were buried 64 soldiers from the United Kingdom (mainly 14th Black Watch and 12th Somerset Light Infantry) who fell in September, 1918. DRIENCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY, on the South side of the village, made by the 74th (Yeomanry) Division in September, 1918, and containing the graves of 20 soldiers from the United Kingdom. LIERAMONT COMMUNAL CEMETERY GERMAN EXTENSION, in which 63 soldiers from the United Kingdom were buried by the Germans in 1916-1918 and by the 58th (London) Division in September, 1918. MOISLAINS BRITISH CEMETERY, a little South-West of the village, containing the graves of 54 soldiers of the 47th (London) Division who fell in September, 1918. MOISLAINS CHURCHYARD, which contained the graves of three soldiers from the United Kingdom and one from Canada. MOISLAINS GERMAN HOSPITAL CEMETERY, at the North-East end of the village, containing the graves of 38 soldiers of the Empire, who fell in 1917 and 1918, and 281 Germans. TEMPLEUX-LA-FOSSE GERMAN CEMETERY, on the East side of the village, containing the graves of 34 soldiers from the United Kingdom. Of these 33 were buried by their comrades in September, 1918. VAUX WOOD BRITISH CEMETERY, VAUX-SUR-SOMME, within Eastern edge of the wood. Here were buried, in September, 1918, 25 soldiers from the United Kingdom (mainly of the London Regiment). MADAME MILITARY CEMETERY, Clery-sur-Somme, near the road to Bouehavesnes, where 56 soldiers from the United Kingdom (mainly 33rd Division) were buried in January-March 1917. Three of these were returned to Serre Road Cemetery No.2, Beaumont-Hamel, and 53 at Peronne. (The origin of this name is uncertain, but the Germans had a "Maidan Trench" opposite).

Record of Commemoration

[ Index ]


G. MURRELL

No further details available

[ Index ]


W. H. MORGAN

WILLIAM HARRY MORGAN
Serjeant 378
5th Bn., Gloucestershire Regiment
who died on Thursday, 13th May 1915. Age 36.

Additional Information: Son of John Henry and Mary Harriet Morgan; husband of the late Minnie Emily Morgan.

Commemorative Information
Cemetery: PLOEGSTEERT WOOD MILITARY CEMETERY, Comines-Warneton, Hainaut, Belgium
Grave Reference/Panel Number: III. D. 7.

Location: Ploegsteert Wood Military Cemetery is located 12.5 Km south of Ieper town centre, on a road leading from the Rijselseweg N365, which connects Ieper to Wijtschate, Mesen, Ploegsteert and on to Armentieres. From Ieper town centre the Rijselsestraat runs from the market square, through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort) and directly over the crossroads with the Ieper ring road. The road name then changes to the Rijselseweg. 2 Km after Mesen lies the left hand turning onto Rue St Yvon. Immediately after passing Prowse Point Military Cemetery lies a right hand turning onto a small road track (unsuitable for vehicles). 1.2 km after this junction lies the cemetery, along the track leading into the wood.

Historical Information: Ploegsteert Wood Military Cemetery was made by the enclosing of a number of small regimental cemeteries. Plot II was originally the Somerset Light Infantry Cemetery. It was made by the 1st Battalion of that Regiment in December, 1914, and the 32 graves in it, as well as ten in Plot I, belong to that Battalion. Plot IV, the Bucks Cemetery, was made by the Buckinghamshire Battalion, O.B.L.I., in April, 1915, and 11 of the 20 graves in it belong to that Battalion. Plot III contains 16 graves of the 115th Gloucesters, of April and May, 1915; and in Plots III and IV the 8th Loyal North Lancs. buried 12 men in October-December 1915. But from the 28 Canadian graves in it (of June October, 1915), and from the name of a trench running by, this. Plot and Plot IV became known as the Canadian Cemetery, Strand. The cemetery as a whole was used sparingly in 1916, and by the New Zealand Division in July and August, 1917. There are now over 150, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. The cemetery covers an area of 1,136 square metres and is enclosed by a low brick wall.

Record of Commemoration

[ Index ]


Grdsm. W. F. ELLWAY

No further information available

[ Index ]


Pte. A. W. NELMES - R.A.S.C.

No further information available

[ Index ]


B. PETERS - Glos. Reg.

B PETERS
Private 204278
12th Bn., Gloucestershire Regiment
who died on Thursday, 2nd May 1918.

Commemorative Information
Cemetery: AIRE COMMUNAL CEMETERY, Pas de Calais, France
Grave Reference/Panel Number: II. H. 17.

Location: Aire is a town about 14 kilometres south-south-east of St. Omer. The Communal Cemetery is 0.75 kilometres north of the town, on the road to St. Omer and the 4 British plots are on the east side.

Historical Information: In Aire Communal Cemetery, Plot 1 contains the whole of the British burials from March 1915 to February 1918, when the town was a busy but peaceful centre used as Corps Headquarters and sheltering the Highland Casualty Clearing Station, the 39th Stationary Hospital (from May 1917), and from time to time other medical units. Plots II, III and IV are due to the fighting of 1918, when the 54th Casualty Clearing Station came to the town and Aire was, for a time, within thirteen kilometres of the German lines and suffered some damage. There are now over 900, 1914-18 and 20, 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, a small number from the 1939-45 War are unidentified. The British plots cover an area of 1,229 square metres.

Record of commemoration

[ Index ]


T. SHOTT

THOMAS SHOTT
Private 16116
"C" Coy. 1st Bn., Gloucestershire Regiment
who died on Sunday, 9th May 1915. Age 34.

Additional Information: Son of Tom Shott, of Court House, Church St., Littledean, Newnham, Glos.

Commemorative Information

Memorial: LE TOURET MEMORIAL, Pas de Calais, France
Grave Reference/Panel Number: Panel 17

Location: Le Touret Memorial is located at the east end of Le Touret Military Cemetery, on the south side of the Bethune-Armentieres main road. From Bethune follow the signs for Armentieres until you are on the D171. Continue on this road through Essars and Le Touret village. Approximately 1 kilometre after Le Touret village and about 5 kilometres before you reach the intersection with the D947, Estaires to La Bassee road, the Cemetery lies on the right hand side of the road. The Memorial takes the form of a loggia surrounding an open rectangular court. The court is enclosed by three solid walls and on the eastern side by a colonnade. East of the colonnade is a wall and the colonnade and wall are prolonged northwards (to the road) and southwards, forming a long gallery. Small pavilions mark the ends of the gallery and the western corners of the court. The names of those commemorated are listed on panels set into the walls of the court and the gallery, arranged by Regiment, Rank and alphabetically by surname within the rank. Over 13,000 names are listed on the memorial of men who fell in this area before 25 September 1915 and who have no known grave.

Record of Commemoration

[ Index ]


J. E. SHOTT

JAMES SHOTT
Private 16115
"A" Coy. 7th Bn., Gloucestershire Regiment
who died on Wednesday, 11th August 1915. Age 27.

Additional Information: Son of Thomas and Sarah Shott, of Court House, Church St., Littledean, Glos.

Commemorative Information
Memorial: HELLES MEMORIAL, Turkey
Grave Reference/Panel Number: Panel 101 to 104

Location: The Helles Memorial stands on the tip of the Gallipoli Peninsula. It takes the form of an obelisk over 30 metres high that can be seen by ships passing through the Dardanelles.

Historical Information: The Helles Memorial bears over 20,000 names and is both the memorial to the Gallipoli campaign and to men who fell in that campaign and whose graves are unknown or who were lost or buried at sea in Gallipoli waters (other than Australian, New Zealanders and Newfoundlanders who are named on other memorials). Inscribed on it are the names of all the ships that took part in the campaign and the titles of the army formations and units which served on the Peninsula.

Record of Commemoration

[ Index ]


A. G. WESTBROOK

ALFRED WESTBROOK
Private 25966
12th Bn., Gloucestershire Regiment
who died on Friday, 23rd August 1918.

Commemorative Information
Memorial: VIS-EN-ARTOIS MEMORIAL, Pas de Calais, France
Grave Reference/Panel Number: Panel 6

Location: Vis-en-Artois and Haucourt are villages on the straight main road from Arras to Cambrai about 10 kilometres south-east of Arras. Within the grounds of Vis-en-Artois British Cemetery, which is west of Haucourt on the north side of the main road, will be found the Vis-en-Artois Memorial. This Memorial bears the names of over 9,000 men who fell in the period from 8 August 1918 to the date of the Armistice in the Advance to Victory in Picardy and Artois, between the Somme and Loos, and who have no known grave. They belonged to the forces of Great Britain and Ireland and South Africa; the Canadian, Australian and New Zealand forces being commemorated on other memorials to the missing. The Memorial consists of a screen wall in three parts. The middle part of the screen wall is concave and carries stone panels on which names are carved. It is 26 feet high flanked by pylons 70 feet high. The Stone of Remembrance stands exactly between the pylons and behind it, in the middle of the screen, is a group in relief representing St George and the Dragon. The flanking parts of the screen wall are also curved and carry stone panels carved with names. Each of them forms the back of a roofed colonnade; and at the far end of each is a small building.

Record of Commemoration

[ Index ]


F. E. WEAVING

FRANK EDWARD WEAVING
Private 29634
10th Bn., King's Shropshire Light Infantry
who died on Thursday, 5th September 1918.

Commemorative Information
Memorial: TYNE COT MEMORIAL, Zonnebeke, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Grave Reference/Panel Number: Panel 112 to 113

Location: The Tyne Cot Memorial to the Missing forms the north-eastern boundary of Tyne Cot Cemetery, which is located 9 kilometres north east of Ieper town centre, on the Tynecotstraat, a road leading from the Zonnebeekseweg (N332).

Historical Information: A description of the Memorial and an account of the military operations in the Ypres Salient is contained in a separate Introductory part to the Registers.

Record of Commemoration

[ Index ]


R. WYNN - Worcr.

RALPH WYNN
Private 40908
"Y" Coy. 4th Bn., Worcestershire Regiment formerly, 3rd (King's Own) Hussars
who died on Saturday, 20th April 1918. Age 26.

Additional Information: Son of E. Wynn, of Grange Rd., Littledean, Glos., and the late Charles Wynn.

Commemorative Information
Memorial: PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL, Comines-Warneton, Hainaut, Belgium
Grave Reference/Panel Number: Panel 5

Location: The Ploegsteert Memorial stands in Berks Cemetery Extension, which is located 12.5 kilometres south of Ieper town centre, on the N365 leading from Ieper to Mesen (Messines), Ploegsteert and on to Armentieres. From Ieper town centre the Rijselsestraat runs from the market square, through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort) and directly over the crossroads with the Ieper ring road. The road name then changes to the Rijselseweg (N336). 3.5 kilometres along the N336 lies a fork junction with the N365. The N365, which forms the right hand fork, leads to the town of Mesen. The Cemetery lies 3 kilometres beyond Mesen on the right hand side of the N365, and opposite Hyde Park Corner Royal Berks Cemetery. The Memorial commemorates over 11,000 men who have no known grave. They fought throughout the War on Belgian soil beside French troops, and died in France or Belgium when the frontier was of little interest in this area in which trench warfare lasted longest. The Memorial is a covered circular colonnade, 20 metres across and 11 metres high, enclosing an open space, and is entered by an opening between two stone lions. The names of the dead are carved on panels set in the walls of the colonnade. They belonged to thirty-six different Divisions and to a hundred Regiments; of these Regiments the Rifle Brigade with 559 names, the Northumberland Fusiliers with 535 and the Durham Light Infantry with 444 claim the largest individual shares.

Historical Information: The Memorial in Berks Cemetery Extension, Ploegsteert, is one of those erected by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission to record the names of the officers and men who fell in the Great War and whose graves are not known. It serves the area from the line Caestre-Dranoutre-Warneton, on the north to the line Haverskerque-Estaires-Fournes on the south, in which the best-known features are the towns of Hazebrouck, Merville, Bailleul and Armentieres, the Forest of Nieppe, and Ploegsteert Wood; and it covers the period from the arrival of the III Corps in this area in 1914 to the date of the Armistice with Germany. The Battles of Ypres and Messines fall to the north of these limits, and the Offensives of 1915 mainly to the south; the normal state of the area, during the greater part of the War, was one of trench warfare. The Memorial is a covered circular colonnade, 20 metres across and eleven metres high, enclosing an open space, and entered by an opening between two stone lions. The names of the dead are carved on panels set in the walls of the colonnade. They belonged to thirty-six different Divisions and to a hundred Regiments; of these Regiments the Rifle Brigade with 559 names, the Northumberland Fusiliers with 535 and the Durham Light Infantry with 444 claim the largest individual shares.

Record of Commemoration

[ Index ]


D. HAIL - Glos.

D HAIL
Private 17332
10th Bn., Gloucestershire Regiment
who died on Saturday, 9th October 1915. Age 27.

Additional Information: Son of William Hail, of 20, Union St., Sutton-in-Ashfield, Notts.

Commemorative Information
Cemetery: CHOCQUES MILITARY CEMETERY, Pas de Calais, France
Grave Reference/Panel Number: I. G. 10.

Location: Chocques is 4 kilometres north-west of Bethune on the road to Lillers. When you reach the traffic lights on this road at Chocques, follow the signs for the centre of town and go through the main street, then turn left towards Gonnheim. Take the next turning on the right and the cemetery lies approximately 400 metres down the road on the left.

Historical Information: Chocques was in British occupation from the late autumn of 1914 to the end of the War. It was at one time the Headquarters of the I Corps. From January, 1915, to April, 1918, No. 1 Casualty Clearing Station was posted in the village, and during that time almost all the burials in the Cemetery were those of men who died there of wounds received in the fighting on the Bethune front. These men are buried in Plot I, and the officers in part of Plot V. From April to September, 1918, the burials were carried out by Field Ambulances, Divisions and units; the graves are in parts of Plots II to VI, and they represent the repulse of the German attack on this front. The groups of graves of a single Royal Artillery Brigade in Plot II, Row A, and of the 2nd Seaforths in II D, and III A, are significant of the casualties of the 4th Division at that time. The big collective grave in VI A contains the remains of soldiers of the 4th King's Liverpool Regiment killed in a troop train in April, 1918. The stone memorial in 1A is placed behind the graves of 8 men of the 3rd Squadron, R.F.C., killed in a bomb explosion on the Aerodrome at Merville in March, 1915. After the Armistice it was found necessary to concentrate into this Cemetery (Plots II, III, IV and VI) a large number of isolated graves or small graveyards in the country between Chocques and Bethune. Among the small cemeteries thus removed, to ensure the maintenance of the graves, were:- ANNEZIN COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION, a short distance West of Bethune, made by the 3rd Division in April, 1918, and containing 38 graves; LES HARISOIRS BRITISH CEMETERY, Mont-Bernenchon, three miles North East of Chocques, made by the 4th Division in April, 1918, and containing 27 graves; CANAL CEMETERY, Les Harisoirs, made by the 4th Division in April, 1918, and containing 17 graves; BOIS-DES-MONTAGNES BRITISH CEMETERY, Vaudricourt, two miles South West of Bethune, made by the 46th Field Ambulance in September, 1915, and containing 8 graves; and CHOCQUES CHURCHYARD, containing 1 British and 35 Indian graves. There are now nearly 2,000, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. The Cemetery covers an area of 5,430 square metres. It occupies a corner site, standing above the road; and it is bounded by a low stone wall and approached by stone steps. The War Stone stands on a platform at the North angle of the cemetery, and the Cross at the East end.

Record of Commemoration

[ Index ]


1939-45

Sergt. R. J. BAGHURST - R.A.F.

REGINALD JAMES BAGHURST
Sergeant 640031
38 Sqdn., Royal Air Force
who died on Friday, 14th June 1940. Age 21.

Additional Information: Son of James and Catherine E. Baghurst, of Littledean, Gloucestershire.

Commemorative Information
Memorial: RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL, Surrey, United Kingdom
Grave Reference/Panel Number: Panel 11.

Location: This Memorial overlooks the River Thames on Cooper's Hill at Englefield Green between Windsor and Egham on the A308, 4 miles from Windsor.

Record of Commemoration

[ Index ]


Dvr. R. G. BEARD

RAYMOND GEORGE BEARD
Driver T/122898
2 Bridge Coy., Royal Army Service Corps
who died on Saturday, 1st June 1940. Age 21.

Additional Information: Son of Ralph Henry and Maisie Lavinia Beard, of Littledean, Gloucestershire.

Commemorative Information
Memorial: DUNKIRK MEMORIAL, Nord, France
Grave Reference/Panel Number: Column 134.

Location: The Dunkirk Memorial stands at the entrance to the British War Graves Section of Dunkirk Town Cemetery, which lies on the eastern outskirts of the town on the road to Veurne (in Belgium).

Record of Commemoration

[ Index ]


A/B. W. R. HAYWARD

WILLIAM RONALD BEVAN HAYWARD
Able Seaman D/JX 138662
H.M.S. Galatea, Royal Navy
who died on Monday, 15th December 1941. Age 24.

Additional Information: Foster-son of William and Rose Hayward.

Commemorative Information
Memorial: PLYMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL, Devon, United Kingdom
Grave Reference/Panel Number: Panel 47, Column 2.

Location: The Memorial is situated centrally on The Hoe which overlooks directly towards Plymouth Sound. It is accessible at all times.

Record of Commemoration

[ Index ]


Dvr. W. S. WAKEFIELD

WILFRED SIDNEY WAKEFIELD
Driver T/122913
Royal Army Service Corps
who died on Thursday, 10th December 1942. Age 24.

Additional Information: 103 Corps Bridge Coy., Son of Sidney and Mary A. Wakefield, of Littledean, Gloucestershire.

Commemorative Information
Cemetery: BONE WAR CEMETERY, Algeria
Grave Reference/Panel Number: III. B. 15.

Location: The cemetery adjoins the Children's amusement and leisure park, about 400 metres off Route N44 between Annaba and Constantine, on the road to Saraidi. It is about 5 kilometres west of Annaba.

Historical Information: Bone was occupied by Allied forces on 12th November, 1942, and became important as a supply port and for its airfield. The 70th British General Hospital was there during the early months of 1943. Burials in the war cemetery reflect these uses of the town.

Record of Commemoration

[ Index ]


[ Top of this page ]

Commemorative Information from The Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Web page design by Rod Neep
Copyright ©1999 Rod Neep